Sunday, June 17, 2012

Auckland Secondary Schools Round 3: Sanders Reserve

I knew to dress warmly for this one when, having packed the car, it took 10 minutes to defrost the windscreen. Resisting the urge to throw boiling water over the car to get it over and done with, I began having flashbacks to a race in Christchurch where I had forgotten my gloves, thermals, and pretty much everything else used to keep warm during a ride. I was not going to repeat that mistake with today's lovely 2 degree weather.

Arriving at Sanders, the temperature had risen to a lovely 4 DEGREES! Sanders and I haven't always seen eye to eye, with my last experience being a very muddy one on my full sus, now retired from active duty. Today would be my short course début with my new dancing partner, a Giant XTC composite 29'r, thanks to R&R for helping me out with that one. Time to cover over previous experiences and replace them with happier ones.

Warming up around the course was revealed the chances for over taking lay with steep switchback climbs to test the fitness of all who dared to enter. This was made more difficult with fingers that refused to move despite the full length gloves they were encased in, and unfortunately I do not have much experience with single speeding, or not using brakes... Cue begging for sunlight.

Luckily for us competitors the sun smiled on us before race start raising the temperature to 14 degrees, meaning only 1 layer was necessary for most. The start was fast and furious without the drifting, as we sprinted for the single track. Getting in first was crucial today with overtaking on 2 small road sections and the switchbacks the only option.

What followed varied from rider to rider. For some it was the despair at broken chains, burst tubes and broken helmets, and for others relief that it hadn't been them and a quiet smile at the consequent moving up a position by default. Riders with good cornering skill and legs toned for snap climbing prevailed today, with 26'rs gaining advantage over their big wheeled cousins in the tighter turns.



So, I think Sanders and I can see eye to eye again with a 4th place finish in a tightly contested Under 17s category, missing the podium by a matter of seconds, having been taken on the last hill. I think this particular course shows potential for Sanders reserve; I cant wait until they start planting some trees and bush blocks to break up the terrain. Congratulations to today's winners, and those who gained enough points to take a series podium position, as this is the last of 3 races in the series. Thanks to all the volunteers who showed up to help, whether you be an organizer, marshal, parent or one of the JAFAKIDS manning the sausage sizzle and coffee machine; we couldn't do it without you. Bring on the next wave of winter racing!
R&R sport sponsored rider Kalen weir dominating the podium.

The Author showing off bike skills.


No comments:

Post a Comment