Monday, May 28, 2012

Review: Crank Brothers Eggbeater 3 pedals



My first comment on these pedals will be this: when considering buying, borrow a mates bike with them equipped, and take it for a proper ride on your local trails. I believe the experience from these pedals in a carpark to be astonishingly negative: floaty, slightly loose feeling etc, especially coming from Shimano spd's. However, once on the trail, these pedals feel like somewhere between flats and clips; you can move your feet to a better angle for cornering and technical descents, but hit the fire road or steep climb and you have the extra power in your stroke only cleats can deliver. However, with their small platform, I would recommend some stiff shoes to avoid the "ball of ice" feeling some riders experience, or buying the slightly wider Candy pedals.

One of the attributes I have been told the Eggbeaters posses is excellent mud clearing ability, I completely agree. After riding these at a muddy, sticky Moonride I am convinced that this is the case; the Eggbeaters gave me no trouble. Also, I like how can clip in from all sides, so you don't have to align them horizontally before clipping in like with other designs.

So, the Eggbeaters offer a nice feel, are convenient to use, and at 278g pretty damn light too. However, they will set you back $200, but bear in mind this is the same as Shimano XT, is lighter and looks cooler in all it's anodised glory.

However, be wary dear buyer. I have had my pair of these seize during the time I have had them; it seems all Crankbrothers products with movable parts do this at some point or another. This bearing seizure can be repaired, as the pedals are rebuildable, however if yours seize the way mine did they do some damage to the pedal. This is bearable the first time as you can just change the bearings, but after the second time you will need to buy new pedals.


No comments:

Post a Comment