Monday, March 12, 2012

Oceanias 2012

What a way to start this years racing off. Oceanias this year was in Rotorua New Zealand, convenient as it is only a few hours south of where I live. Lining up on the start line I have been asked many times by different friends and fellow racers how nervous I was feeling, and the response has been the same to all of them; not nervous at all. As a 14 year old racing in under 17's I know i'm not going to win, so having fun along the way is just as important as trying your hardest. And what a race this turned out to be.


Thankfully my category had been explicitly banned from riding the brand new 'Rock garden' which had already taken it's fair share of now injured riders over the past few weeks. the course had it's fair share of sharp climbs, tight technical downhill and open gravel road climbs to test each riders fitness and ability.



In the end after a hard fought race I finished a credible 13th out of 21, although I did come first in "under 17's full suspension trailbike" category..... overall though it was great to see so many people out there racing as well as my fellow JAFAKIDS riders and congratulations to everyone who raced, no matter where you came. I am looking forward to next year, hopefully for an assault at top 10, or maybe even a podium.... who knows what the future will bring.

1 comment:

  1. Full results for Oceanias XC can be found here:
    http://www.mtbnz.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Oceania-Championships-XCO-Results.pdf

    ReplyDelete